Sunday, March 18, 2012

Delicious Paleo Sunday Brunch

After returning from church, a trip to the grocery store, and a stop at REI this morning, I was hungry. Almost to the point of being intolerant of everything. After being tempted by the wall of Oreos at King Soopers, I was seriously considering cheating on my Paleo diet. But after pushing the thought of chocolatey, creamy, sin out of my mind, it came to me. I want waffles for my Sunday brunch. "Normal" waffles have a number of things wrong with them. White flour, sugar, and dairy, not to mention the toppings (whipped cream, chocolate chips, copious amounts of syrup, etc) are not the best things to fuel your body with. So after a quick google search, I found this Paleo legit waffle recipe from tastyplanner.com, which will definitely cure your waffle needs:

Ingredients
2 Large Eggs
1/4 Cup Water
1.5 Cups Almond Flour (or meal)
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tbs Chives

1. Preheat Waffle Iron
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and water until frothy.
3. Add remaining ingredients, and mix until smooth.
4.Scoop 1/4 of mixture (or whatever looks right) into waffle iron.
5. Cook until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes)

I omitted the chives mainly because I don't like them, and wanted more of a breakfast item. I added about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of ginger to really capitalize on flavor. I doubled the recipe, and that ended up making 6, medium size waffles.


Now, I highly recommend a topping for this. This fruity, delicious, spread compliments these waffles nicely:

3 very ripe bananas
1 Cored. segmented, pink lady apple
6 ripe raspberries (mainly for the nice, pink color)

Put all ingredients into a food processor, and blend until smooth. Spread onto waffles as desired.

This combination is quite delicious, and very filling. I know this will cure your waffle-itis!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the Paleo. :) You should add the "follow" button on your blog--you're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete